6/14/2007

Middle of June

Here we are, it's mid June, we've both been working many more hours each day than we had anticipated, and I'm afraid summer in Alaska is going to fly by and leave us asking where it went.

My days begin by getting up with Henry at 6:00 a.m. From that moment, until about 10:00 p.m., I'm checking people in, taking reservations, answering all kinds of questions, and listening to some 'poor me' stories from those who feel they're entitled to a discounted night or a free night's stay. (How about getting a job?) Granted, it's not 14 straight hours of all of the above, but it is the knock on the door the moment we sit down to have dinner, or Sunday morning at 8:00 a.m.....
And why don't people read the signs? When the sign says "door will be locked at 8:00 p.m.", that probably is a good indicator that 7:55 p.m. would not be the appropriate time to start the laundry"....And, if my husband and I are sitting outside in front of our trailer having a private conversation, what gives the impression we are wanting to have company for the next 2 hours? I am beginning to feel like we never see one another.
Then we have Henry's job, which is the original reason for coming to Alaska for the summer. He is working long hours there, and always ends of coming 'home' to assist someone (who probably does not speak english) with their electrical plug in, show another where the dump station is or help me with the 'rush' of late arrivals. It's no wonder he feels mentally 'whipped'.

Yup, I did sign up for this job, and yes, I still feel it was a good idea.....but, boy oh boy!
I wonder what the rest of Fairbanks looks like and will I ever get to see it?

No comments: