4/01/2008

Too Much Time On My Hands

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/JubaksJournal/WheresTheBailoutForMainStreet.aspx

Jim Jubak has it right. Read his article above. Obviously, I'm not the only one that feels the Fed is doing this country a grave misjustice. It started with Greenspan and is continuing with Bernanke. They spend countless hours coming up with ways to bail out the big banks, but as Jubak states 'Who's going to rescue the real economy?' Like I mentioned in an earlier post, lending institutions pocketed huge profits a few years ago, by misusing the funds they had available to them.

The ones really struggling are the rest of us, the little guy. We are the ones paying more at the pump, more at the grocery store, more in airline tickets, and more in health costs. Who's going to rescue us? The answer is, nobody. Americans are cutting back as best we can. Food costs have risen 5%, according to the latest numbers, over the past year. Wages are at a negative.
Meanwhile, companies continue to cut wages, layoff employees and send their jobs overseas. AT&T is a prime example of that. An article last week, quoted AT&T as saying, 'they cannot find skilled workers in the U.S.' Think about it. How skilled do you have to be to work at AT&T? There are plenty of Americans that would gladly accept any job. The truth about AT&T is that they can find cheaper labor in third world countries, and that's who they are giving their jobs to. They don't care about giving jobs to Americans, they care about profit. I can understand that. A successful business is all about profit. But, you can't convince me that their profit margin is so small that they cannot afford to pay a menial $30,000 annual salary to an American? Read it here:
http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/topstocks/archive/2008/03/27/at-amp-t-says-it-can-t-find-skilled-workers.aspx
Oil Companies. They are pocketing Billions of dollars. Yes, with a capital "B"! Admittedly, I know very little about the 'what's' and 'why's' of oil imports/exports/supply and demand, etc., but it sure seems to me that if our Government can bail out big banks to the tune of $200 Billion, then they certainly ought to be able to put a stop to the madness with the price of fuel. See for yourself:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23901712
You probably know that companies like Exxon, BP, and Shell employ thousands of U.S. citizens and send them to overseas countries to work..but did you know it is At an average cost of around $300,000/per year, per employee, excluding their salary? Those employees are provided luxury housing, maids, drivers and airline tickets home, just to name a few of the perks. Hell, the oil companies even pick up the tab on a big percentage of their taxes, full medical and their child's education. It's a sweet deal for the employee and their families without a doubt. They are proud to be 'oil workers', living in the lap of luxury and turning up their noses at the U.S. (even though they themselves are U.S. citizens). I wonder how many of their children (american citizens) can recite the Pledge of Allegiance or know our country's National Anthem? They are so absorbed in their jet set lifestyle, they have forgotten where they came from. They've travelled the world and been to countries most of us don't even think about. They actually prefer living in third world countries, because they relish in the fact that others believe them to be wealthy. They love their wealth.

I know, I know, I sound envious. It isn't about envy, but it is about pride. I love my country. I love our freedom, I love the fact that I can worship as I choose. I love that I have the right to carry a firearm, and I love to see our flag flying. I cry every time I hear our national anthem...ask my husband, he loves me because I am emotional. That's part of why I love him so much, I guess.

Whether it's the illegal immigrants who have taken root in my country, or the American oil workers who have taken root in third world countries...none of them love America. The illegals love the benefits we hand to them, and the oil workers love the benefits we hand to them. After all, it's all coming out of our pockets, isn't it?

It's compassion, as I read about young families struggling to buy groceries, or trying desperately to find a job that has been given to some dude in India. It's compassion as I see honest, hard working americans struggling to make ends meet...and then I see so many walk around like they have a stick rammed up their rearend because they believe they are indeed worthy of the riches bestowed upon them. That is disgraceful.

I honestly am scared for the younger generation like my children and my grandchildren. My son has a wife and 3 children he is providing for. I know his rent continues to go up along with eveything else. His salary is not increasing enough to keep up with it all. All I can see is him struggling to stay ahead, and it gets more difficult every day, I'm sure. I am thankful that both our children have good jobs. I am thankful they both have good work ethics. I can only pray that they spend wisely and not get discouraged. Times are tough and are going to get even tougher.

Like I said, too much time on my hands.

No comments: