9/12/2011

Fulltiming vs. Not

Maybe it's because it's September. Maybe it's because I've been thinking about our fulltiming friends, as every year at this time, the fulltimers begin to migrate south toward warmer climates like Arizona, Florida or South Texas, and it's been on my mind alot lately.

We've got friends that workamp every summer in places like Montana, South Dakota and Indiana. They are probably finishing up their summer jobs right about now and heading to their winter destinations. Some will be going to their winter workamping jobs and the rest will take the winter off. As I think of each of them, I pray they'll be safe in their travels. I am going to miss meeting up with them, catching up with the latest and will especially miss happy hours around a campfire.

Last year we were closing up the KOA in West Yellowstone and heading to Coffeyville, Kansas to work through the Christmas season.  A lot has changed in the past year in our lives and we're about to experience a winter in Dallas, which can't be all that bad as far as weather goes. I'm hoping anyway.

Do I miss fulltiming? Yes and no. I miss it for all the reasons I just mentioned, but I like where we are in our lives right now. I don't have to worry about something going wrong with the motorhome that could cost a fortune to repair, and I don't have to endure overnights at a Wal-mart or truck stop (which I never really felt safe about).

I love our condo. Dallas is a big city with lots to see, and I love having a place to come home to where I feel safe, but yet we can expand our circle of exploring every weekend if we choose.  It's comforting knowing we have health insurance (something that was always a concern when we were fulltiming) and now I can seek out my favorite grocery store, dog groomer and a place for haircuts and pedicures, and become a regular customer.

I love having somewhere my kids can come and stay. I love it that Jack has one place to get used to, as opposed to somewhere new all the time. Oh, and little things like having a full size oven and refrigerator, and a pantry! So far, life not fulltiming is good! I do miss seeing and talking to our fulltiming friends though.

No comments: