9/02/2011

It's Friday!

Three day weekend. Yay! Henry's got the rental car until Tuesday now, so if all goes well, we will hopefully find a replacement vehicle this weekend. I think he's looking at anything larger in size than the Maxima, and something with low miles. It was a big job finding the Nissan, so it's not going to be fun starting the search again. You've got scammers to contend with and then the people that claim their vehicle is in excellent condition with no body damage, until you go to look at it...only to find they forgot to mention all the hail damage on the hood or that the rear end is smashed in. Crossing my fingers that the perfect car will magically appear for us.

Why is it that car shopping, house hunting and flying all used to be things we enjoyed, and today they are just a pain in the butt?

On my return flight from Alaska, I missed my connection in Phoenix and had to wait over six hours for the next available flight. People watching can be very entertaining! As I was sitting at the gate, a flight to Cabo was preparing to board, and the attendant at the podium announced several times that anyone flying on flight 1338 to Cabo San Lucas must come to the podium to have their passport stamped prior to boarding.
As I sat there watching people texting or on their laptops, I wondered at the time why so many did not go up to the podium as requested. I decided they must be waiting for the flight to Dallas and weren't going to Cabo. Then, the boarding began, and I had to laugh to myself as some of those same people that ignored the call to the podium were in fact going to board the plane. They'd get all the way to the front of the line to show their boarding pass, only to be told 'Sorry, you have to get your passport stamped at the podium'.

I guess it just proves that for the most part, people don't really listen, pay attention, or even know what is going on around them as they're glued to their IPhones. Whatever happened to reading a book or magazine while waiting....OR, here's an idea! Having a conversation with the one you're traveling with?
Times have certainly changed.

**An update on my son. He was told two days ago by the doctors that he can expect to remain in the hospital at least another month. Today is day 33 for him. It was devastating news, but I'd rather they keep a close eye on him to ensure his recovery. His fourth surgery was last Friday evening, so this is good news. 7 days post-op and all is well. The real test will be when they try to start him on solid foods. He still needs lots of prayers.

No comments: